Back to Recipe Page
NEW ENGLAND CLAM CHOWDER
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 4 slices bacon, chopped1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme, or 1 tsp dried
- 1 medium red potato, diced
- 1 (8oz.) bottle clam juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups low-fat milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ tsp salt
- 12 ounces fresh clam strips, chopped, or 3 (6 oz.) cans chopped baby clams, rinsed
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until
crispy, 4-6 minutes. Transfer half of the cooked bacon to a paper
towel-lined plate with a slotted spoon. Add onion, celery and thyme to
the pan; cook, stirring, until it begins to soften, about 2 minutes.
- Add potato, clam juice, and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook until the vegetables are just tender, 8 – 10 minutes.
milk, cream, flour and salt in a medium bowl. Add to the pan and return
to a simmer, stirring, over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring, until
thickened, about 2 minutes. Add clams and cook, stirring occasionally,
until the clams are just cooked through, about 3 minutes more.
- To serve, discard bay leaf. Ladle into bowls and top each service with some of the reserved bacon and scallions.