Back to Recipe Page
OLD BAY STEAMED BLUE CRABS
- 36 live blue crabs
- ½ cup seafood seasoning (such as Old Bay)
- ½ cup salt
- 3 cups beer
- 3 cups distilled white vinegar
- ¼ cup seafood seasoning
- Combine ½ cup seafood seasoning, salt, beer, and vinegar in a large stockpot over high heat. Bring to a strong simmer.
- Right before cooking, carefully place each crab upside down and stick a knife through the shell, just behind the mouth.
- Fit a screen over the beer mixture and layer the crabs on the screen. Be sure that the crabs are above the simmering liquid. Cover.
- Steam crabs until they turn bright orange and all the blue/green color is gone, 20 – 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup seafood seasoning before serving.