Back to Recipe Page
1 ½ cups chicken broth
1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
½ cup red enchilada sauce
1 ½ onions, diced, divided
6 (12 inch) flour tortillas
4 cups diced, cooked chicken, divided
1 pound Monterey Jack cheese, shredded, divided
1 6 oz. can sliced black olives
4 cups refried beans, divided
¼ cup vegetable oil
3 avocados, peeled and pitted
½ Cup finely chopped cilantro
2 TBSP lemon juice
3 green onions, diced
¼ cup finely chopped jalapeno chile peppers
1 tomato, diced
2 cups shredded lettuce
1 cup sour cream
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a medium saucepan, combine the broth, rice, sauce, and 1 diced onion. Mix and bring to boil; reduce heat to low and let simmer for about 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, heat tortillas in large skillet (so that they are soft enough to fold).
- When rice mixture is ready, spoon equal amount of the following into each tortilla:
shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Roll tortillas, tucking in sides to prevent filling from spilling over.
- Heat oil in large skilled and fry the filled tortillas, turning, until browned on all sides. Drain on paper towels.
- To Serve: In a medium bowl, combine the avocados, cilantro, lemon juice, green onions, chile pepper and tomatoes. Mash together. Place shredded lettuce on a platter, topped with chimichangas, avocado mix, sour cream and shredded cheese.