Back to Recipe Page
DISTRICT of COLUMBIA
CHILI HALF-SMOKE (DC Style Chili Dog)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can crushed tomatoes with puree
- 1 TBSP Chili powder
- ½ TBSP paprika
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 8 regular half-smoke hot dogs
- ¼ cup yellow mustard, for spreading
- 8 split-top hot dog buns, toasted
- ½ cup red onions, diced, for topping
- ½ cup shredded cheese, for topping
- For the chili sauce: Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook and stir beef in the hot skillet until browned and crumbly (5-7 minutes). Drain and discard grease. Add beef broth to ground beef, bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium –low heat. Simmer about 30 minutes, until liquid is slightly reduced.
- Mix tomatoes with puree, chili powder, paprika, onion and garlic powders, salt, and cayenne pepper into beef.
- For the half-smokes, heat a grill over high heat.
- Cut the half-smokes ¾ of the way through, lengthwise and grill until nicely marked and heat, about 1 ½ minutes per side. Spread mustard on inside of each warmed bun. Place each half-smoke in a bun and evenly top with the chili sauce. Sprinkle with raw onions and shredded cheese.