Back to Recipe Page
WHITE CLAM PIZZA, NEW HAVEN STYLE
- ¾ cup warm water (110 to 115 degrees F)
- 1 ½ tsp active dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour, plus more for kneading
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 TBSP olive oil, plus more for oiling bowl
- ¾ cup chopped fresh clams
- ¼ cup olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Zest of lemon
- 2 TBSP cornmeal, for dusting
- ¾ cup mozzarella cheese, optional
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt
- 1 TBSP chopped fresh parsley
- Crushed red pepper, for serving
- For the dough, whisk together the warm water, yeast and sugar in a bowl. Set aside until the yeast activates and becomes foamy, about 10 minutes.
- Whisk the flour and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center. Pour the foamy yeast mixture and the olive oil into the well. Using a fork, gradually incorporate the flour into the liquid mixture. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth (5 minutes). Put dough in a lightly oiled large bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Place in a warm area until the dough doubles in size, about 2 hours.
- For the Topping: In the meantime, mostly drain the clams, retaining about 2 TBSP liquid. Mix together the chopped clams and juice, olive oil, oregano, garlic and lemon zest in a bowl. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F (260 degrees C) and adjust oven rack to the lowest level. Put a pizza stone or turned over baking sheet on that rack.
- When dough has doubled in size, turn onto a lightly floured surface and stretch into a very thin rectangle about 12” x 14”. Dust a pizza paddle or another turned over baking sheet with cornmeal and place the dough on top. Make sure it slides back and forth easily. If using mozzarella, sprinkle over the dough. Top evenly with the clam mixture. Add Parmesan.
- Carefully slide the dough onto the hot pizza stone in the oven. Cook until nicely golden brown on top and bottom, 8 – 10 minutes. To serve, sprinkle with parsley and crushed red pepper, season with salt to taste.